Sunday, January 27, 2008

I want to be the rotten egg!

Caleb and Cody can be so pokey sometimes (Ben says all the time). They drag their feet to do anything. Especially when Mama and Daddy need to be somewhere or when we are getting ready for school in the morning. At home, they are distracted by toys, the dog, each other and I end up yelling at them or counting (you parents know what I mean) to get them up and moving. When we are outside Caleb is busy reading signs, license plates, bumper stickers, or looking at a leaf on the ground. Meanwhile Cody has broken free of my hand and is trying to race across the parking lot like a tornado. Ben and my mom went to Caleb's basketball game this weekend (I had to work). When they were walking across a parking lot, Mom was trying to get Caleb to hurry up. He said, "Don't piss me off". Mom was shocked! Luckily Ben had seen it right before it came out of his mouth...the lovely bumper sticker on a redneck's car they were walking past. Ben had the talk about not nice words. Then of course Cody had to pipe up, "I didn't say Don't piss me off."

The past couple of weeks I resorted to one of my childhood chants in order to get the boys moving when they are poking or not getting up to their room quick enough. "Last one there is a rotten egg!" Cody took off up those stairs. Caleb followed but not in any hurry. I'm sure he wasn't threatened by Mama's "rotten egg". All of a sudden, Cody realized he wasn't last, "Oh man! I want to be the rotten egg!" Caleb tried to explain that a rotten egg wasn't something you wanted to be, but Cody put on his stubborn arms crossed stance and continued to declare that he was the coveted "rotten egg". I asked him if he was the rotten egg, then what was Caleb. He said, "Caleb is the sweet egg." I've tossed out the childhood chant a few more times in the past few weeks. Every time Cody yells out, "I'm the rotten egg!" But for some reason, it gets them both racing to whatever destination I have pointed them in. Whatever works...

3 comments:

The Hadfields said...

That just made me laugh out loud!! The things kids say....

Kev said...

I laughed out loud several times with this one! Too funny! They are the funniest kids! Odd... but funny! hahah Love em! Mom didn't tell me about the "don't piss me off" thing. Too funny!

Mom said...

What a hoot! Love those boys. We had such fun last weekend -- never a dull moment, that's for sure...