Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Time to de-stress

Is de-stress a word? I don't know, but it is time to bring down the stress level in this woman's temple! I don't know if I can with 2 boys under the age of 5, a full time job, and taking 2 classes towards my Master's degree...but I'm going to try. A friend of mine gave me a book called "Younger by the Day-365 Ways to Rejuvenate your Body and Revitalize your Spirit" by Victoria Moran. It talks about getting in touch with your mind, body, emotions, and spirit. It is one of those books that you are supposed to read daily because there is an inspirational thought for each day of the year. I have been reading it about once a week. That is all the time that I have to devote to it, so I catch up on a week's worth of reading at one sitting. Which is depressing in itself, because I love to read, and used to read all the time (before kids). I now rarely have time to read anything except Dr. Suess, The Hungry Hungry Catepillar, and boring nursing books and journals for school.

Getting off the subject, back to the book..."Younger by the Day" talks about eating healthy, pampering yourself, treating yourself to things that you enjoy, and just making yourself feel good in your own skin. Today I finally treated myself to a yoga class (well I didn't actually treat myself, I had a one month free gift certificate), but I finally made time for myself. It was an introductory class, which was good because I am out of shape and not limber at all. It was a small class of 4 (a lady in her 50's and 2 overweight girls in their 20's were my other classmates). So I was feeling pretty good about being out of shape and not knowing what I was doing. It was their first class too. We had a really good time. It was so relaxing and envigorating! All we did was relaxation and stretching exercises, but just paying attention to your breathing and forgetting everything else in life was rejuvenating.

Ben bought a juicer a couple of weeks ago. Neither of us eat much fruit and we tried some fresh juice from a juicer at a friend's house and got hooked. The thing is great, we put the fruit in whole and it spits out delicious, fresh juice. Ben got all siked up about it and printed off recipes from the internet and has been trying all kinds of concoctions. It tastes so yummy and healthy! We have been really energized since drinking the juice. Our bodies are saying "thank you!"

Ben's mom bought me the "Deceptively Delicious-Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food" cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld for Christmas. It incorporates using purees of fruits or vegetables into meals to get the kids to eat more healthy or to actually get fruits and vegetables down them. Caleb is my extremely picky eater and Cody is just selective in what he eats. So a few weeks ago, Ben and I were in the kitchen- him juicing, me pureeing. Haven't found a winning recipe for my boys yet, but I've snuck some veggie purees into Ben and my meals. Gotten the boys to try a bite or two. I have a nice stock of vegetable purees now to try out and hopefully I'll find something they love even though it has veggies in it.

We are both struggling with age creeping up on our bodies the past couple of years. Ben, "why didn't you tell me I was this bald on top!" straining to look at the top of his head in the mirror. Me, "what is this pooch here in the front, I look pregnant, and why don't my pants fit anymore!" Not to mention the funky strange hairs that appear on body parts that aren't supposed to have hair growing from them, getting heartburn or indigestion from food that you used to be able to eat with no problem, or the inablility to whip a little teenager's butt in soccer or football anymore!

I also came to the realization that I am at peace with my job for now. That is a major de-stressor because work used to be quite a stressful place on some days. There is probably (99.9% sure) going to be a position in management opening up in my hospital that I would be a likely candidate to apply for. I have had several people already questioning me about whether I would apply for it. I considered it for a bit, but then came to the realization that I really love what I am doing. I love teaching pregnant women and little siblings, I love answering their questions and talking to them about their pregnancy. I like the flexibility of my hours. I know I sometimes miss ball games or practices because I have some childbirth classes in the evening or on a weekend-I don't like that part. But I can clock out and go have lunch with Caleb if I want to or go to a pre-school program that Cody is having. Or go to a yoga class, like I did today. I also love the computer stuff that I do (I manage the computer charting system in LDR and do chart audits and chart reviews). I do not want to move on to a different position with the high stress level that it has and the hours that it entails. I'm sure I would do fine in the position and I may even have been good at it, but I do not think I would be happy. I would rather sacrifice having more money, for having happiness and peace at my job.

Has this post turned into a self-help blog? I am sorry! But I hope that all of you readers will find a way to rejuvinate yourselves and de-stress your life. You deserve to pamper yourself and do something that makes you happy : )
P.S.
Pic at the top is not how I wish to de-stress. How in the world is that woman in that position anyway? It should not be humanely possible to sniff your heels from a standing position.




6 comments:

Kev said...

Nice new, feminine layout! hahah I'll have to try your juicer next time I'm there. You should try something wacky, like kiwi avocado juice!

Mom said...

Love this post, and am glad that you are taking the yoga class. Wish I could go with you, I love yoga. Glad you are eating more fruit and veggies and are happy with your job.

Dad said...

We also got a juicer"Jack LaLaines" and are trying out different kinds of juices. You do need to stay with what you love doing instead of a better position. Whats hard for me is seeing my little girl gettin older. Tell Ben to join me in the Bald is Beautiful Club

The Hadfields said...

Great post, it sounds like you are taking a step in the right direction and I'm honestly glad to hear you say that you aren't interested in Kyra/Suzanne's position. All I can think is = less time with your family! And that's not good with 2 little boys who need their mommy at home!! I couldn't choose that place over Sophie anymore than I am forced to already!!!
PS: let me know how you like your juicer. I want one!!!

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at you! From the outside looking in you have it so together and I feel like I am the one so stressed with kids, work, family etc. Way to go to put yourself first. I can learn alot from you. Jessica

Jim_Peterson said...

After working all day, I wouldn't want to sniff my heels! Anyway, I'm glad to see you FINALLY taking some time for yourself for de-stressing. By the way, how does Ben like the new pink layout?

Tell Ben to quit worrying about his balding head - shave it off and be done with it! I got tired of all the hair arguing about who was next to jump off, so I settled the arguments once and for all. And ya know, I really enjoy it and probably won't ever go back to having hair -- that's what hats are for!

Like you, I am happy with my job as well, and the sacrifice of money for happiness is well worth it. A little tricky for us at times, but worth it.