Sunday, September 28, 2008

Grandmama to the Rescue!

Nothing like a good cuddle and head rub from Grandma to make you feel better!

Caleb has been sick since Thursday. We received a phone call from school around 10am that Caleb had a severe headache and felt like he was really hot but not registering a fever. Ben picked him up and by the time he got home his fever was 101. He ran a fever all day and Daddy medicated him with Tylenol and Motrin all day with his fever ranging from 101-102. I got home from work at 6:30pm and his fever was 105 after getting Motrin 30 minutes before that. I put him in the bath and got his fever down to 103. After that he started vomiting and was unable to keep any meds or liquids down. The back of his head was still hurting severely. So I made our first ever trip to the ER Thursday night. We stayed most of the night, only to receive some Tylenol and Zofran and they tested his urine. He started having severe uncontrollable diarrhea in the ER. Much to the embarrassment of poor little Caleb. He had diarrhea 4 times from 1am-3am. But instead of starting an IV or admitting him, we were sent home with a prescription for an antibiotic with the doc saying he had a virus. ??? I did not start the antibiotic. For one, if it is a virus he doesn't need an antibiotic. Also he is having severe diarrhea, antibiotics sometimes cause him to have diarrhea and he is vomiting, so he won't be able to keep down the medication.

We've had a rough weekend. Tummy hurting, head still killing him, diarrhea every couple of hours, nausea, weakness, unable to eat. Friday he pretty much slept all day in between receiving fever meds and having diarrhea. I kept giving him small amounts of water or Sprite every hour to keep him as hydrated as I could. Friday night he did not sleep well and neither did I. He tossed and turned with his belly ache or headache all night long. Getting up constantly to go to the bathroom and sitting up dry heaving in one of the many hospital puke bags that I brought home.

I worked Saturday from 9am-3pm, an all-day Childbirth class. It killed me to be there when he was so sick. Ben stayed home and did a marathon wash-a-thon, washing all of the sheets, blankets, towels, and clothing. Hoping to get rid of any germs hanging around and prevent Cody from getting it. My mom was worried about poor Caleb and felt bad that Ben was home with both of them, so she came down to help out. Cody was bouncing off the walls when she arrived and never stopped till he hit the bed. He didn't know what to do with his best buddy being sick and unable to play with him. He asked me, "Mama, when is Caleb going to stop being sick so he can play with me? I don't like Caleb being sick."

I came home Saturday to Grandmama rubbing Caleb's poor little throbbing head in a dark bedroom. His head was hurting so bad. He hadn't had a fever or vomited all day, so that was encouraging. He had finally eaten a little bit- crackers, oatmeal, rice, and toast. He was drinking more water, Sprite, and Ginger Ale. We tried Pedialyte and Grandmama brought Pedialyte popsicles, but Caleb didn't like them. He still had very little appetite and will only eat a few bites at a time.

He finally slept for the first time last night, only waking once and climbing into bed with Grandmama with his head and tummy hurting. Today he is feeling a little better and plays with Cody for awhile before wearing out. Poor Cody feels a little deprived. "Why is Caleb getting popsicles (custard, jello, snow cones, or whatever we are trying to get Caleb to try)...I want some too!" Caleb still has no appetite and refuses to eat most of the time because he is too nauseous. I am trying to keep fluids down him and make him eat a tiny bit. His diarrhea is finally easing up. He still has a headache and tummy ache off and on.

Looks like he will probably need to stay home Monday to get his strength back and not overdo it at school. Mom headed back home this morning. (We appreciate you coming down to help out with Caleb. It was greatly needed!) Didn't think you needed pictures of the past few days, we all look a bit rough. Poor Caleb was pale with dark circles under his eyes. He is getting his color back, but still looks puny in his eyes. We all need to sleep about a week!


Mom said...

Glad I could help. It's always good to see you all. Poor Caleb is weak as a kitten. Hope he is back to his old self soon.
Love and hugs from Mom/Grandmama

Kev said...

Thanks for the update. I've been worried bout the fellah. Glad he seems to be on the mend. I look forward to seeing you all next weekend if you come to BG!

Jim said...

Poor little guy! Hope he gets well soon!! It sounds like he might be on the upswing, so we'll be praying for him, and you guys too!