Saturday, January 16, 2010

Wash Your Mouth out with Soap

I will begin this blog with a plea that no one will think that I am an evil mother for what I am about to tell you. I have upon occasion used the punishment of washing my youngest child's mouth out with soap when (1) he has a naughty mouth (2) he is back-talking or sassing me (3) he sticks his tongue out. Hey if the mom from "The Christmas Story" can do it, then I can too. I can tell you, it works. I haven't had to do it often, but when he is extremely naughty and other punishments are laughable to him. Then he gets the soap treatment. Now sometimes just the threat of soap makes him turn into an angel apologizing profusely. Now some of you are now picturing my youngest little angel with a bar of soap in his mouth for 5 minutes like poor Ralphie. Before you start thinking I am cruel or insane, let me tell you what I do. Naughty One goes to the bathroom for his punishment. I either use a bar of mild soap and swipe it across the inside of his mouth or mild liquid detergent is used and I squirt a drop on my finger and put it along his gums. He may then immediately go to the sink to spit and wash his mouth out with water. An unpleasant taste isn't enough to hurt him, but it sure curbs the bad talk or back-talking for a long time.

Here is where the story begins...this past week the boys and I were sitting in the living room. Naughty One got mad at something and started throwing a fit. Screaming, yelling, tossing himself upon the couch, then he started back-talking and yelling at Mama. All I said was, "It looks like I'm going to have to go get some soap." Naughty One jumped up and ran out of the room. I started talking to Caleb and forgot the episode. Caleb and I then heard from the bathroom spitting, gagging, and water running. I looked at Caleb and said, "Is your brother washing his own mouth out with soap?" Caleb was dying with laughter and said, "Yeah, I think he is!" I said, "He aint' right." In walks Naughty One with tears in his eyes,
"I just washed my mouth out with soap. I'm sorry."

11 comments:

Marcia said...

You gotta love a kid that will deal out his own punishment when deserved. And you tell the story so well Miranda. Your Grandmama would be proud.

The Hadfields said...

That is hilarious! I wouldn't be above washing my "naughty one"'s mouth out with soap, so don't feel too bad!! :)

jimmythegeek said...

That IS HILARIOUS!! I figured this was a post about Ben, though...

DaD said...

Wow!!!!You have really got them trained, but where did you come up with the idea, don't remember us using that on you and KK.
oh, of course, U all were perfect!!!!

Kev said...

LOL! OMG what a crazy boy!? What was he thinking? Miranda, you've warped your child for good.

The Petitts said...

Poor Ralphie (Cody)!!! Miranda, don't pick on my little angel!

Artist said...

Thanks for sharing this great story.

Anonymous said...

THE greatest/funniest thing I've read in quite a while. That is one procedure parents should always consider, but not he only one. I just hope the Naughty One remembers to keep a few books/mags handy for the inevitable spanking, with or without the belt. Saved my butt once or twice...

Anonymous said...

spank his bottom next time...

Anonymous said...

Aawww bless him, i think he's copying!!. I got my mouth washed with soap too and it did work!!. Mind due as Cody is a BOY and so coming from an Asian family (where boys are only spoiled and pampered) he wouldn't have had this punishment....infact he wouldn't have had any!! lol. Good picture too!

Anonymous said...

Hello miranda, I loved your story. I don't think there is anything wrong with washing a kids mouth out if he or she deserves it. I think your soaping sounded weak, I have had way worse doen to me and seen friends have it done worse also and all of us are ok. First time I had my mouth washed out was my junior year in high school. I said as bad of a word that you can say to a lady. Well I had to stay after and I had to miss baseball practice. At 1st my punishment was 1000 lines and after a 100 I cursed at her again, so miss hansen left the class and walked in with a bar of soap that she obviously just ran under water and I said noway. Then I was told I'm gonna miss games then so I had to kneel in front of a teacher that I thought was hot and look up at her as she washes my mouth out with soap. Miss hansen pushed the bar in and twisted and rubbed the soap around my mouth hard as if she was a dominatrix. It tasted horrible, but she did this nonstop for about 15min. Maybe more. I was yelled at while I had it done then she pushed the soap in my mouth and made me write more lines while I sucked on soap and after I did a 100 lines with the soap in my mouth she checked my work and said I didn't like doing this, but I will do it again and she rubbed it around for 5 more minutes and made sure to get it stuck between all my teeth and I remember my heart beating so hard and fast from I guess knowing that a teacher I liked was in front of me punishing me like a badboy. She let me rinse and promised this would stay just between us and I never told anyone besides a girlfriend of mine and telling you now. Had it done one other time by a girlfriend who I. Cursed off real bad in front of people so the sneaky girl handcuffed my arms behind my back and ductaped my ankles and I woke up and she sat on top of me and washed my mouthout with dial soap for 30minutes and teied to make me chew on it and when I wouldn't she ductaped my mouth shut with soap in my mouth for twenty minutes. I won't lie I deserved it, but not as severe as what my girlfriend did. Maybe ten minutes. I pray it doesn't happen again.